In a strange twist of events, the Coachella gods dropped the 2015 line-up on us today.
As we prepare for the love/hate moments that make up this annual tradition, let’s explore some of the highlights:
Coachella seems to have found a formula for headliners in years past — a throwback band, a rock favorite, and a rapper or two or three. This is no different. Pretty pumped to check out Jack White, though he’s been on the festival circuit this year so he’s not that novel an addition. Drake, however, is going to be AWESOME. He’s one of those acts I’ve always kind of wanted to see but probably wouldn’t be willing to shell out the cash required to do so. THAT I’m looking forward to. Expect lots of special guests.
THE YUMA TENT aka much of the small font
Techno/House/Playa House/Deep House/Disco/Underground/whateveryouwanttocallit has exploded this year. Yuma was already a massive scene last year. This year, it’s going to likely be one of the most popular stages at the festival. Some of these guys probably won’t even play Yuma this year- perhaps Gobi or whatever that other one is called that isn’t the Sahara tent? Either way, I really hope they expand Yuma so that it’s not always at capacity. Coachella, do you hear me? I don’t want to wait in line to see Loco Dice.
Some names I’m looking forward to:
- TALE OF US – they’re not going to tour before April AND they’ll have a new album. This will be one for the books if you like really heady, slow and emotional house (which I DO).
- Cashmere Cat
- Loco Dice
- Duke Dumont (I can’t resist even though I’ve seen him many times and he’s already played Coachella)
- Hot Natured (Jamie, I love you.)
- Annie Mac
- JES+S (Still have never seen Troxler)
- Chris Malinchak
- Pete Tong
And a few that I anticipate will debut outside of Yuma:
- Gorgon City
- Todd Terje (not familiar with who he is playing with but I have high hopes)
- Jamie XX
The larger fonts aka Kaskade has answered my prayers
If you know me at all you know that I am obsessed with Kaskade, and my life’s regret (well, a regret that I have) is that I chose to see Radiohead instead of Kaskade at Coachella in 2012. Radiohead was cool, I dug it. But Kaskade played my favorite set on this entire earth that I’ve listened to 6 billion times and basically have felt the real pain of heartbreak over.
I’ve seen Kaskade a bunch now and it has been wonderful but I imagine that seeing him in the desert will be a very happy occassion indeed. At least, I have built it up in my head this way. And my 25 year old self would agree. So… I AM SUPER JAZZED HE IS FINALLY GOING TO BE BACK AGAIN!
Here are my top larger font choices for this year:
- Kaskade (duh)
- Alabama Shakes because I FREAKING LOVE THE BAD ASS LADY band-member #neverforget
- SBTRKT beacuse that will get weird.
- Madeon (I love him I love him I can’t)
- the Weeknd
- Ratatat because what happened to those guys
- Tame Impala
- Axwell ^ Ingrosso because there is no way that won’t be fun
- Florence because you need a lady to sing to your soul at least once at Coachella (see also: Marina and the Diamonds)
- Brand New because it’s important to relive your emo high school years every once in a while
- Porter because I love that robot anime genius and he’s just wrapping up his tour so probably won’t tour again for a while I would venture.
And then there is the list of mediumish to small fonts, many I only sort of know and want to check out probably, along with some definites that I will put stars by:
- Milky Chance* (THEY ARE SO GOOD THIS IS A CANNOT MISS)
- Sylvan Esso*
- Chet Faker*
- Azaelia Banks
- What So Not
- Clean Bandit
- Toro y Moi
- Key N Krates
- Panda Bear
- St. Lucia (this should be a definite yes if any of you haven’t seen them. They’re great).
In summary, I want to see like 80 shows and it’s going to be tough times but I’m super excited.
Full line-up below. YAY!